based on standard parts
Want to enter the world of Synthetic Biology?
Want to introduce standard parts into your research?
Want to be part of the Synthetic Biology community?
Want to prepare for an iGEM team or continue working in Synthetic Biology after participating in iGEM?
Join the iGEM Labs program!
In addition to running the International Genetically Engineered Machine (iGEM) competition, iGEM Headquarters also operates and maintains the Registry of Standard Biological Parts (parts.igem.org). The Registry is the world's largest open-source community collection of standard parts, commonly called BioBricks. These parts meet established criteria for compatibility, allowing them to work together. The Registry of Standard Biological Parts has over 20,000 BioBricks, with open access to all participating groups.
Since 2004, academic research labs have had access to the Registry and its tools, just like iGEM competition teams. iGEM labs are asked to adhere to the Registry's philosophy of Get & Give, and submit both part documentation and samples they make back to the Registry. As a community collection of parts, the Registry depends on the contributions of its users to increase the quality of its samples and information.
Join today to be part of the iGEM labs academic research community. As the program develops, you will receive more information about community events, networking, tools, parts, and more.
As part of your subscription, your lab group will receive:
- Lab group account on igem.org, and accounts for all lab members
- Annual DNA distribution containing 1000+ BioBricks
- Part samples on request (see details below)
- Free shipping via UPS
- Registry-related technical support
- Lab website hosting (wiki platform)
- Discounts on other iGEM events, such as the Jamborees
- Community Opportunities such as workshops, networking, and more
COST: $500 annual subscription fee
Starting on December 1, 2016, for new Lab members and renewing Lab members we will restrict the number of part requests each Lab is allowed:
- part requests are limited to 3 separate requests annually, of 25 parts per request (total 75 individual parts per year)
- iGEM Labs will continue to receive an annual DNA distribution kit which does not count towards the part request limit
If you wish to request more parts, please contact us at labs AT igem DOT org to discuss pricing and benefits for a more personalized Lab Program membership.
How to Join
Registering your lab includes a few steps: registering users, setting up the lab account, adding your shipping information, etc.
To sign up for an iGEM lab, complete the following steps
- Create a user account if you don't already have one.
- Submit your registration form
- Submit your payment (please create a new account to submit payment)
Have an existing lab account?
- To renew your account, simply submit your payment (please create a new account to submit payment) to renew your current lab group.
COST: $500 annual subscription fee
Registered iGEM labs
View your lab account, make changes to your lab account, add users, etc. If you're a new user to iGEM, you'll want to see if your lab has already joined.
How to Pay
Once you submit your lab registration form, submit your payment via the online payment form (please create a new account to submit payment).
Subscription fee payable by check, wire transfer, credit card. (please create a new account to submit payment)
Questions? Contact labs AT igem DOT org