Lab Registration Handbook
iGEM Lab Group Requirements
The requirements to join the iGEM community as an iGEM lab group are:
- The principal investigator of a laboratory must complete the lab account application
- The lab must be affiliated with a university, academic research group, or similar non-profit
- The group must accept and adhere to the 'Get and Give' philosophy
iGEM Lab Group Fee and Registration
There is a $500 USD subscription fee for each iGEM Labs group. The lab group will receive the following resources:
- Lab group account on igem.org, and accounts for all lab members
- Annual DNA distribution containing 1000+ BioBricks
- Part samples on request
- Free shipping via UPS
- Lab website hosting (wiki platform)
- Discounts on other iGEM events, such as the Jamborees
- Community Opportunities such as workshops, networking, and more
There are two ways to register for the iGEM Labs program:
- If you are part of an existing iGEM Lab group, send an email to labs (at) igem.org to receive payment information and renew your current lab group account.
- To register a new iGEM Lab group, complete the following steps:
- Create a user account on igem.org if you haven't already
- Submit your registration form
- Submit payment upon receipt of your invoice (an invoice will be sent to the email address associated with your user account)
If you already have a user account from previously participating in iGEM (ex: previous team member, etc.), you can continue to use that account to join/create a lab. You do not need to create a new account in order to join/create an iGEM lab account.
The laboratory's principal investigator must apply for the lab group. They will serve as the primary contact and will be the person iGEM Headquarters communicates with in the event of any announcements or questions. They are also responsible for approving members that ask to join their lab group. To do so the primary contact must log in to the system and go to their lab profile page by clicking on their lab name in the list of labs.
The first step in the registration process is to create a user account for yourself. Everyone must have a user account - instructors, students, graduate students, other faculty, and anyone else in the lab. In order to be part of a lab group, you must have a user account. The user account allows you to use any tools on any of our websites, and you will need one to request parts from the iGEM Registry of Standard Biological Parts. Logging into your user account will give you access to Registry sites and iGEM sites.
In order to create an account, click on "Log in" in the upper right corner, then click on "Apply for an iGEM and Registry account". The next page will look like this:
When creating your user account, please provide TWO names: your real name and your user name. At this time, we can only accept character A-Z and numbers 0-9. Your user name:
- will be used to log into iGEM and Registry
- cannot be changed.
Your real name
- must take the form [first name] [last name]
When you create an account you will be asked for the school or organization you are affiliated with. Once you have created a user account, you automatically have a user page which will always be active. As long as you continue using the Registry or coming back to participate in iGEM, you will always have a user account and a user page.
You can look up your user name by searching with your real name. If you forget your password, you can enter your user name and a new password can be emailed to you.
Have questions? You can contact us at labs (at) igem.org.